Feb 27, 2011

Sticky Toffee "Pudding"


I was not looking forward to making this cake. It looked like it was going to be cloyingly sweet, and I didn't think I'd ever be able to get rid of twelve pieces of way-too-sweet cake. But I ended up loving all the elements of the cake and could happily have eaten my way through the whole thing. If you too turned up your nose at this recipe and decided to pass it by, I implore you to give it a try.


This is the first time a can of stout has been in the mise en place. Jim was happy to have an excuse to buy an eight-pack of Guinness.


To my knowledge, this is the first time I've ever poured beer in a saucepan and brought it to the boil. I'm absolutely certain that it's the first time I've ever added baking soda to boiling beer. As you might expect, the mixture starts to fizz.


After the dates macerate (my favorite word from last week) in the hot beer for a while, they're supposed to be put in a food processor until mixed to a brown slurry. My food processor chose this moment to give up the ghost. I thought about getting out my immersion blender, but then decided that I'd rather have bits of dates in the cake anyway. So I just chopped the softened dates, and was glad I did--the little pieces of dates added to the textural interest of the cake.


The three eggs I broke into a bowl measured 142 grams. I didn't want to use another whole egg for eight measly grams, and I decided to call it good enough. Then I remembered that I still had a few of my darling quail eggs. (Don't worry folks; the sell-by date is not until March 2). One petite quail egg put me six grams over, so I scooped out a spoonful. There. 150 grams on the dot.


I expect that the cake would have been slightly darker if I'd succeeded in pureeing the dates, but I like the date-studded looks of it. The batter didn't fill the pan one-third full. I looked through the ingredients to see if nothing was missing, but everything was accounted for.


While the cake was baking, I made the toffee sauce. Jim watched me mix the butter and brown sugar, and said, "That looks awfully rich." He sounded as doubtful as I felt. I said, "Wait until I add the cream." But I also added two tablespoons of lemon juice. The lemon juice was an addition of pure genius; its tartness cut the sugary sweetness of the sauce into something quite palatable. Downright delicious, in fact.


Time to remove the cake from the pan. I was worried about this step because the pan-preparation directions had nothing about spraying the parchment paper or the sides of the pan. I'd been fretting about that ever since I noticed. I considered just spraying the pan, but then I remembered my baking mantra: "Rose has her reasons."


Indeed, the cake emerged from the pan with nary a mishap. It still looked thinner than I thought it should.


When I cut into it, though, I decided that the crumb looked okay. Too late, I remembered the cake-testing sheets that Woody had left at my house, and I didn't measure the cake's height. Sorry, Woody. Someday I may be more scientific in my approach.


I can't resist another picture of the finished product. The effect on guests of cutting the cake, spooning the luscious toffee sauce over, dolloping the creme fraiche, and topping with toasted pecans is quite amazing. People are so impressed, and think you did so much more work than you actually did. Both the cake and the sauce are easy to mix up (the sauce, unlike a traditional caramel sauce, does not require taking its temperature); the creme fraiche is just taken out of its carton and whisked, and the pecans simply toasted and chopped. But when you put it all together, it looks like you're a kitchen ace. And all so good! The date-spice cake could be eaten out of hand, and the toffee sauce is amazing. The creme fraiche, along with the miraculous lemon juice, adds a little tartness, and the pecans make it perfect.

TASTING PANEL:

Pat: "Wow. This is delicious. This is really good."
Myra: "Mmmm. I love this cake."
Jim: "This is wonderful. It has a variety of nice flavors--delicious. One of my favorites so far."

12 comments:

Monica said...

I skipped this for the very reason that you noted at the beginning of your post. Plus, I gave Tom a choice of desserts this week and sadly for HCB he choose to go with the GCC choice instead.

Funny, how by now, nothing fazes us anymore right? - short or over on another ingredient.. forget-about, we got it covered!

But, your pictures is making me think twice... plus, I could tell Tom that there is beer involved (which I did not disclose before).

Jenn said...

Marie, great closeup (love the first photo). It looks just like the one in the book!!!

Glad this is a hit. I love it when things exceed expectations :).

Katya said...

oh dear, it seems I'm lacking the proper amount of dates. hold your breath for a version including dates, candied lemon and orange peel, zante currants, and sultanas.

evil cake lady said...

great writeup Marie! I was also worried it would be too sweet, but it all pulls together to be just perfect doesn't it? your little quail egg hanging out with the chickens is so cute.

chris in RI said...

My sister and I had sticky toffee pudding for the first time on a cold, drizzly, dreary day in August in Scotland. The second time we had it, was the next day, a cold drizzly, dreary day in Inverness. The third time we had it...you get the picture.
After we had it the first time, it became our go-to dessert for the rest of the trip. It was so tasty and perfect for taking the chill off. We found it to be quite like tiramisu; we never knew exactly what form it would take, but it was always the same basic ingredients. I would love to try Rose's version, it looks delicious, and perfect for the undoubtedly cold, drizzly March we are in for.
Jim out did himself on the pictures, I hope he got an extra Guinness for his trouble.
Chris in RI
now at hadtheradish.com

Vicki said...

Nice cake Marie! I like the look of the chopped dates. Tomorrow I'll be up for a trip to Whole Foods for their lovely dates. This would be a great St Patrick's Day cake, yes?

doughadear said...

Oh my goodness Marie, this looks awfully good. I love dates and your description of this cake made my mouth water.

Marie said...

Monica,
I don't know how much you taste the beer, since I've never made a stoutless sticky pudding, but he could have the leftovers, and that should be worth something.

Jenn,
Yes, having low expectations can lead to some nice surprises!

Katya,
See, you are a scofflaw!

ECL,
Yes, it's perfectly balanced. I'm curious now to check on some other recipes and see how they differ.

Chris,
So--the perfect dessert for a foggy day in London town? Or a foggy day in Providence or Minneapolis?
Jim has laid claim to all the extra Guinness.

Vicki,
Yes!

Oriana,
I know--it's making my mouth water right now.

Shandy said...

Your sticky toffee pudding looks absolutely decadent in your pictures! This has to be the "best" sticky toffee pudding/cake I have ever tasted; so happy I chose to make the full recipe.

Hanaâ said...

Marie, I like how your cake has chunks of date in it. Only after I was done pureeing the date mixture did I remember Rose’s comment saving a couple of them for texture. Will definitely try that next time (and there will be a next time as this cake has made it into my list of favorites - knowing me, I'm sure you're not surprised, ha ha). Frankly, I forgot about the crème fraiche and sprinkling of nuts on top, and nobody missed it :o)

anitsirK said...

Man.. I just finished writing up my post, then came to read yours, read the comments, and decided to go grab myself the last full-size piece. This cake is just dangerous.

Sarah the Bear said...

Well, I just started dieting for a wedding dress fitting in a few weeks, but now I think I'm gonna have to make this cake. It looks delicious! Steve is a big fan of dried fruit (I joke that he has the palate of an 80 year old woman), so I like the idea of not pureeing the dates. Ok, going to the store now...